A rolling upgrade is the recommended approach to upgrading; new versions of DS will install and work seamlessly with older versions of DS in a cluster. On connection, each DS node negotiates the protocol with the connected node, which allows a newer node to speak to an older node as necessary. Replication will also work between different versions of DS.
As with any software upgrade, we strongly recommend testing the procedure in your own development environment first and ensuring you have up to date backups and recovery plans in case you encounter any issues. You should also make sure you read the release notes relating to the new version of DS so that you are fully aware of all the changes.
A rolling upgrade (sometimes called a sequential upgrade) involves the following steps:
- Disable DS server 1 node from the load balancer.
- Stop DS server 1.
- Upgrade DS server 1 as described in the Upgrade.
- Check that DS server 1 is operating correctly after the upgrade.
- Re-enable the successfully upgraded DS server 1 node in the load balancer.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 for each node until they are all upgraded.