This article has been archived and is no longer maintained by ForgeRock.
The upgrade path you should take depends on which release you are going from and to as summarized in the following table:
|Source release||Target release||Upgrade path|
|OpenIDM 2.x||OpenIDM 4||
|OpenIDM 2.x||OpenIDM 4.5||
|OpenIDM 3||OpenIDM 4||Upgrade from OpenIDM 3 to OpenIDM 4 as per instructions below.|
|OpenIDM 3||OpenIDM 4.5||
|OpenIDM 3.1||OpenIDM 4||Upgrade from OpenIDM 3.1 to OpenIDM 4 as per instructions below.|
|OpenIDM 3.1||OpenIDM 4.5||
Prior to starting your upgrade, you should ensure you have read the OpenIDM Release Notes relevant to the target release and all interim releases, with particular focus on the OpenIDM Compatibility section to ascertain if your existing customizations will continue to work; you should also have read the Migrating to OpenIDM chapters in the relevant install guides:
- OpenIDM 3 Release Notes › OpenIDM Compatibility
- OpenIDM 3 Installation Guide › Migrating to OpenIDM 3.0.0
- OpenIDM 3.1 Release Notes › OpenIDM Compatibility
- OpenIDM 3.1 Installation Guide › Migrating to OpenIDM 3.1.0
- OpenIDM 4 Release Notes › OpenIDM Compatibility
- OpenIDM 4 Installation Guide › Migrating from OpenIDM 3.1 to OpenIDM 4
- OpenIDM 4.5 Release Notes › OpenIDM Compatibility
- OpenIDM 4.5 Installation Guide › Updating From OpenIDM 4.0 to OpenIDM 4.5
One other thing to consider is the encryption of certain data like passwords. This should work properly if the secret key in the keystore (security/keystore.jceks) remains the same in the later release (alias openidm-sym-default, configured in boot.properties, which is located in the /path/to/openidm/conf/boot directory).
You can upgrade from OpenIDM 3.x to OpenIDM 4 as follows:
- Follow steps 1 to 9 in the Install guide: OpenIDM Installation Guide › Migrating from OpenIDM 3.1 to OpenIDM 4 so that you have a separate OpenIDM 4 instance running alongside your OpenIDM 3.x instance; the steps are the same if you are going to OpenIDM 4 from OpenIDM 3 apart from steps 4 and 6. You should refer to OpenIDM 3.1 Installation Guide › Migrating to OpenIDM 3.1.0 for these steps if you are migrating from OpenIDM 3.
- Instead of step 10 in the install guide, you can follow this process which is less error prone (and assumes you are running separate OpenIDM 4 and OpenIDM 3.x instances alongside each other):
- Download the attached sample (scriptedcrest2idm.tar) which is based on the existing ScriptedCrest2DJ sample; this allows you to perform a reconciliation from a source OpenIDM 3.x instance to a target OpenIDM 4 instance.
- Customize the provisioner configuration and associated mapping in this sample to add your specific managed user attributes. The attributes currently specified are the ones used in our LDAP samples. If you want to provision other types of managed objects, you should also add these to the provisioner configuration and mappings as well.
- Perform the reconciliation from the OpenIDM 3.x instance to the OpenIDM 4 instance using the sample you customized in step b; this will migrate all your managed data straight into the OpenIDM repository.
- Continue with steps 11 to 13 in the Install guide: OpenIDM Installation Guide › Migrating from OpenIDM 3.1 to OpenIDM 4.