You can install your backend database files and configuration (instance files) in a separate file system to your binaries if required.
Any support patches received from ForgeRock will need to be installed in the classes directory where the instance files are stored rather than the /path/to/ds/classes/ directory if you have this setup.
The instance.loc file was deprecated in DS 5 and removed in DS 5.5.
In DS 5, the instance.loc file, which is located at the top level of your unzipped DS binary directory, indicates where the instance files are stored. The instance.loc file is used by all DS tools to locate the server data and configuration. The instance.loc file is created during setup if the --instancePath option is used. It must not exist prior to running the setup command, else setup will error.
To install DS so that the binaries are in /opt/ds and the instance files are in /var/ds, you should do the following:
- Download the latest DS zip file from BackStage.
- Navigate to the /opt directory (where you want to install DS) and unzip the DS zip file (for example, DS-7.0.0.zip). This creates /opt/ds/...
- Run the setup command per Setup Hints. You must include the --instancePath option, which should point to the directory where you want the instance files located. For example:
- DS 7 and later: $ ./setup --instancePath /var/ds --ldapPort 1389 --adminConnectorPort 4444 --rootUserDN uid=admin --rootUserPassword password --hostname ds1.example.com --acceptLicense
- Pre-DS 7: $ ./setup --instancePath /var/ds --ldapPort 1389 --adminConnectorPort 4444 --rootUserDN "cn=Directory Manager" --rootUserPassword password --hostname ds1.example.com --acceptLicense
The setup tool creates the /var/ds directory if it does not already exist and populates this directory with all the data and configuration files needed by the server.