How do I perform a multi-server upgrade from OpenAM 11.0.0 to 11.0.x (External Configuration)?
The purpose of this article is to provide information on performing a multiple server upgrade (cluster) from OpenAM 11.0.0 to 11.0.x with an OpenDJ external configuration store (replicated), where one server is running a full installation and the other servers are running a server-only installation.
1 reader recommends this article
This article has been archived and is no longer maintained by ForgeRock.
Preforming a multi-server upgrade
In the following scenario:
- One server (AM1) has a full installation of OpenAM 11.0.0 (including Console) and two servers (AM2 and AM3) have a server-only installation of OpenAM 11.0.0 (although the steps to follow are the same even if the other servers also have full installations).
- Each OpenAM server points to a single external OpenDJ configuration store (DJ1), which is replicating across all instances (DJ1, DJ2 and DJ3).
As with any software upgrade, we strongly recommend testing the procedure in your own development environment first and ensuring you have up to date backups and recovery plans in case you encounter any issues. You should also make sure you read the release notes relating to the new version of OpenAM so that you are fully aware of all the changes.
You can upgrade as follows:
- Stop the AM1, AM2 and AM3 servers (leave the three OpenDJ servers running).
- Deploy the full OpenAM 11.0.x war (OpenAM-11.0.x.war) on AM1. For Apache Tomcat™, you should ensure you remove the unzipped war folder and replace the old openam.war file with the new one, as follows, before proceeding: $ cd /path/to/tomcat/webapps $ rm -rf openam $ rm openam.war $ cp /path/to/expanded-openam-war/upgrade-war/openam.war ./openam.war
- Start the AM1 server.
- Run the upgrade wizard on the AM1 server.
- Restart the AM1 server.
- Deploy the server-only OpenAM 11.0.x war (OpenAM-ServerOnly-11.0.x.war) on AM2 and AM3. For Apache Tomcat™, you should ensure you remove the unzipped war folders and replace the old openam.war files with the new ones for each server (as described above) before proceeding.
- Start the AM2 and AM3 servers - the upgrade wizard is not shown but the upgrade has been performed.
How do I upgrade AM (All versions) with minimal downtime when replication is used?
How do I upgrade AM 6.x if I am using a site configuration?
How do I perform a multi-server upgrade from OpenAM 12.0.0 to 12.0.x (External Configuration)?
How do I make a backup of configuration data in AM 6.x?
Related Issue Tracker IDs